Nagmachon Description – A family of heavy armored personnel carriers and assault engineering vehicles was created specifically for the operations in South Lebanon. The first was Nagmashot, an assault armored personnel carrier for sappers, which appeared in 1982. Using the experience of its operation, Israel developed Nagmachon, which was put into service in the late 1980s. On Nagmachon, there are four launchers of an instant curtain system. Both types of machines are equipped with electronic countermeasures capable of blocking the passage of radio signals for the explosion of improvised explosive devices. The antenna of this system is installed in the rear part of the machine. The armament of heavy armored personnel carriers consists of four 7.62-mm machine guns. The mass of the car is 50-55 tons. A 750 hp diesel engine is installed on the Nagmachon.
The M10 tank destroyer was an American tank destroyer of World War II. After US entry into World War II and the formation of the Tank Destroyer Force, a suitable vehicle was needed to equip the new battalions. By November 1941, the Army requested a vehicle with a gun in a fully rotating turret after other interim models were criticized for being too poorly designed. The prototype of the M10 was conceived in early 1942, being delivered in April of that year. After appropriate changes to the hull and turret were made, the modified version was selected for production in June 1943 as the 3-inch Gun Motor Carriage M10. It mounted a 3-inch (76.2 mm) Gun M7 in a rotating turret on a modified M4A2 Sherman tank chassis. An alternate model, the M10A1, which used the chassis of an M4A3 Sherman tank, was also produced. Production of the two models ran from September 1942 to December 1943 and October 1942 to November 1943, respectively.
The M10 was numerically the most important U.S. tank destroyer of World War II. It combined thin but sloped armor with the M4 Sherman’s reliable drivetrain and a reasonably potent anti-tank weapon mounted in an open-topped turret. Despite its obsolescence in the face of more powerful German tanks like the Panther and the introduction of more powerful and better-designed types as replacements, the M10 remained in service until the end of the war. During World War II, the primary user of the M10 tank destroyer was the United States, but many were Lend-Leased to the United Kingdom and Free French forces. Several dozen were also sent to the Soviet Union. Post-war, the M10 was given as military surplus to several countries, such as Belgium, Denmark, and the Netherlands, through the Mutual Defense Assistance Act or acquired through other means by countries like Israel and the Republic of China.
The M10 is often referred to by the nickname “Wolverine”, but the origin of this nickname is unknown. It is possibly a postwar invention. Unlike other vehicles such as the M4 Sherman, M5 Stuart, or M7 Priest, the M10 was never assigned a nickname or referred to with one when used by American soldiers. They simply called it a “TD” (a nickname for any tank destroyer in general) beyond its formal designation.
After the formation of the Tank Destroyer Tactical and Firing Center at Camp Hood, Texas
in November 1941, the Army began testing to standardize on a configuration for the new tank destroyer battalions. The Tank Destroyer board began to examine several hundred Ordnance Department prototype proposals for a tank destroyer mounting a 3-inch gun, initially focusing the most interest on two:
- The T1, developed beginning in 1940 and standardized as the M5 3-inch Gun Motor Carriage in January 1941. It was a modified Cleveland Tractor Company airfield towing tractor mounting a 3-inch Gun T9 in a limited-traverse mounting
- The T24, developed beginning in October 1941. The T24 was initially rejected as being too tall and the T40 was its improved derivative. The T40 was standardized as the M9 3-inch Gun Motor Carriage in May 1942. It was an M3 Lee chassis mounting a 3-inch Gun M1918 in a limited-traverse mounting
Meanwhile, as the final design developments of these two tank destroyers were underway, the Ordnance Department became dissatisfied and by November 1941 had issued an additional specification for a tank destroyer with a 3-inch gun in a rotating turret. Design work began immediately. The 3-inch Gun Motor Carriage T35 combined an early-production M4A2 medium tank hull with the 3-inch Gun M7 from the M6 Heavy Tank in a cast, circular, open-topped turret. Using lessons learned from combat reports from the Philippines, the armor on the sides and rear of the upper hull was changed from flat to sloped plates. This new test vehicle was designated the 3-inch Gun Motor Carriage T35E1. Prototypes of these two vehicles were delivered to Aberdeen Proving Ground in April 1942, and the Army selected the T35E1 for further development on May 2, 1942. The side and rear upper hull armor of the T35E1 was thinned from 1 inch (25.4 mm) to 0.75 inches (19 mm) in order to reduce the weight of the vehicle. The staff at Aberdeen Proving Ground was worried that the armor of the T35E1 was too thin, and so bosses for appliqué armor panels were added to the hull sides, glacis, and turret sides. As the cast turret was found to be difficult to manufacture, the design of the turret was changed to a sloped pentagonal shape made of welded armor plate. In June 1942, the modified T35E1 was standardized as the 3-inch Gun Motor Carriage M10. By fall 1943, with its M5 and M9 competitors being eliminated from the design competition and their production contracts cancelled, the M10 was to become the United States’ primary tank destroyer of the early war period.
As there were fears that the production of M4A2 chassis would be inadequate for M10 production, an alternate design, the 3-inch Gun Motor Carriage M10A1 based on the M4A3 medium tank chassis, was also authorized for production.
American tank destroyer doctrine emphasized speed and gun power over armor. As a result, the M10’s armor was thin, which made it vulnerable to most German anti-tank weapons. The thickness of the M10’s armor ranged from 0.375 to 2.25 inches (9.5 to 57.2 mm) The lower hull, being modified from that of a standard M4A2 or M4A3 Sherman tank, had 1 inch (25.4 mm) thick armor on the sides and rear, and an 0.5 inch (12.7 mm) thick floor. The rounded, cast transmission cover was 2 inches (50.8 mm) thick. In a departure from its M4 Sherman parent, the M10 lacked the extra 0.5 inch (12.7 mm) floor plate under the driver’s and assistant driver’s stations that provided them additional protection from mines.
The glacis plate was 1.5 inches (38 mm) thick, sloped at 55 degrees from the vertical. The sides and rear of the upper hull were 0.75 inches (19 mm) thick, sloped at 38 degrees from the vertical. The rear upper hull plate was used for storage of the vehicle’s pioneer and maintenance tools; a 5-pound (2.27 kg) axe, a 5-foot (1.5 m) crowbar, a mattock handle and head, a double-sided 10-pound (4.54 kg) sledgehammer, and a track tensioning wrench. The sides and rear of the upper hull featured angled extensions or covers over the upper run of track. These extensions often got in the way of fitting “duckbill” extended end connectors, used to reduce ground pressure on soft ground, and were often removed, along with the front fenders, by maintenance units. The hull roof plate ranged from 0.75 in (19 mm) thick over the driver’s and assistant driver’s stations and turret ring, to 0.375 inches (9.5 mm) thick over the engine compartment.
The manually rotated turret of the M10 was a pentagonal shape. The sides were sloped 15 degrees inward from the vertical and were 1 inch (25.4 mm) thick. The rear of the turret was also 1 inch (25.4 mm) thick. The partial roof on the front third of the turret opening was 0.75 inches (19 mm) thick. The triangular cast gun shield sported the thickest armor on the vehicle, 2.25 inches (57.2 mm) It was sloped at 45 degrees from the vertical and horizontal.
The M10 and M10A1 were mechanically identical except for their power plants. The M10 used the General Motors 6046, consisting of two Detroit Diesel 6-71 inline engines mated to a common crankshaft. The tandem engine produced 375 horsepower (280 kW) at 2,100 rpm. One advantage of the GM 6046 was that the engines could be disconnected at will from the crankshaft and run independently. If one of the engines was damaged or destroyed, it could be disconnected and the other engine used to move the vehicle. The engine of the M10A1 was the Ford GAA, an 8-cylinder derivative of an ill-fated V-12 aircraft engine project. It produced 450 horsepower (335 kW) at 2,600 rpm. When tested side by side in September 1943, the M10A1 was judged to have superior automotive performance to the M10. Even though it produced only slightly less torque, the M10A1’s engine was far lighter, and used a common fuel like the rest of the Army’s vehicles (gasoline). By the time the test results were released in February 1944, the Army was committed to using the M10 overseas. As a result, the M10A1 was kept in the United States for training.
The M10 and M10A1 had a crew of five; commander, gunner, loader, driver, and assistant driver. The driver and assistant driver (who also operated the vehicle’s radio) were seated in the front hull and provided with periscopes. The unique design of the hull hatches to clear the gun mantlet meant that the driver’s view directly to the left side was obstructed. He was provided with a second periscope at the edge of the hull for this purpose. The commander, gunner, and loader were all located in the turret. The commander sat on a folding seat at the right rear. The gunner, on the left side of the gun, normally stood to operate it, but he was also provided with a folding seat. The loader normally stood in the area behind the gun. A third folding seat was provided in the turret for the assistant driver in case he needed to assist the loader for any reason.
Unlike the M4 Shermans it was based upon, the M10 lacked an auxiliary generator, which forced the crew to run the main engines in order to recharge the vehicle’s batteries. The engine noise and smoke could attract enemy fire, especially in close quarters, where the M10 was vulnerable due to its thin armor and open-topped turret. The lack of an auxiliary generator was rectified with the introduction of the M36 tank destroyer.
Soon after reaching production, it was realized that the barrel of the 3-inch gun M7 was too heavy, to the point where it prevented traverse of the turret on a slope of more than four degrees. As an attempt to improve the figure to fifteen degrees, the Army ordered that the track grousers and antiaircraft machine gun be stored on the rear of the turret. This did not solve the balance problem, and on 21 December 1942, triangular “quick fix” turret counterweights made of lead, mild steel, or cast iron were authorized. The mild steel parts weighed 2,400 pounds. Meanwhile, a set of wedge-shaped counterweights weighing 3,700 pounds total was designed by Fisher. The wedge-shaped weights began to be added to new vehicles at Fisher on 25 January 1943. By late December 1942, a second lock was added to the turret and a stirrup-shaped gun cradle was added to the rear deck to secure the gun for travel.
Since the track grousers could not be stored on the rear of the turret anymore, grouser racks that could be attached to the appliqué armor bosses on the hull were added to vehicles beginning in early April 1943. The M10 initially lacked any provision for indirect fire. In May 1943, an azimuth indicator and gunner’s quadrant were added to the M10. The grouser racks and indirect fire equipment were often retrofitted to earlier vehicles. By late June 1943, it was realized that Fisher’s initial counterweights were too heavy. Two newly designed counterweights reduced the total weight to 2,500 pounds and better distributed the weight of the gun. They resembled an upside-down “duck bill” shape when viewed from the side. To accommodate the new weights, the design of the upper rear of the turret was changed from sloped inwards to nearly vertical. In July 1943, the appliqué armor bosses on the hull sides and turret were dropped from production. The bosses on the glacis were retained. In late September 1943, a single M10 was tested with an Oilgear hydraulic traversing motor that could traverse the turret even without the counterweights, but this modification was not pursued as the production contracts were reaching their end.
Production of 4,993 M10s by the Fisher Body division of General Motors at the Fisher Tank Arsenal in Grand Blanc, Michigan ran from September 1942 through December 1943. Ford Motor Company built 1,038 M10A1s from October 1942 until September 1943. From September to November 1943, Fisher built the remaining 375 M10A1s. Fisher also completed a further 300 M10A1 hulls without turrets in January 1944 for direct conversion to M36 tank destroyers. From January to June 1944, 209 M10A1 vehicles were subsequently converted to M35 Prime Movers by removing the turret and adding the necessary equipment for them to tow the 8-inch Gun M1 and 240 mm Howitzer M1
1,413 M10A1s, including the 300 hulls manufactured in January 1944, and 724 M10s were eventually converted into M36 tank destroyers
|Model||Quantity||Contract||Serial numbers||Registration numbers|
|M10||1,800||374-ORD-1880||3 through 1802||4040705 through 4042504|
|M10A1||1,038||374-ORD-1213||1803 through 2840||4046509 through 4047546|
|M10||1,200||374-ORD-1880||2841 through 4040||4081054 through 4082253|
|M10||1,117||374-ORD-1880||5991 through 7107||40110110 through 40111226|
|M10||876||T-7581||7108 through 7983||Unknown|
|M10A1||375||374-ORD-1213||7984 through 8358||40112380 through 40112754|
|January 1944||300 hulls|
|Total||4,993||1,413 complete vehicles
|Place of origin||United States|
|Wars||World War II
1948 Arab–Israeli War
|Designer||U.S. Army Ordnance Department|
|Manufacturer||Fisher Body division of General Motors
Ford Motor Company
|Produced||September 1942 – December 1943|
|Specifications (3-inch Gun Motor Carriage M10/M10A1)|
|Weight||M10: 65,200 lb (29.57 metric tons)
M10A1: 64,000 lb (29.03 metric tons)
|Length||19 ft 7 in (5.97 m) hull
22 ft 5 in (6.83 m) including gun
|Width||10 ft 0 in (3.05 m)|
|Height||9 ft 6 in (2.89 m) over antiaircraft machine gun|
|Crew||5 (Commander, gunner, loader, driver, assistant driver)|
|Armor||0.375 to 2.25 in (9.5 to 57.2 mm)|
|3-inch Gun M7 in Mount M5
|.50 caliber (12.7 mm) Browning M2HB machine gun
|Engine||M10: General Motors 6046 twin diesel
375 hp (280 kW) at 2,100 rpm
M10A1: Ford GAA V8
450 hp (336 kW) at 2,600 rpm
|Power/weight||M10: 12.68 hp/metric ton
M10A1: 15.50 hp/metric ton
5 speeds forward, 1 reverse
|Suspension||Vertical volute spring suspension(VVSS)|
|Fuel capacity||M10: 165 US gallons (625 litres)
M10A1: 192 US gallons (727 litres)
|M10: 200 mi (300 km)
M10A1: 160 mi (260 km)
|Speed||M10: 25–30 mph (40–51 km/h) on road
M10A1: 30 mph (51 km/h) on road
Here too the manufacturer decided to invest a lot of resources and thinking to design an excellent product whether it is in detail the small and large parts and to bring more life and reality in this tank, the kit comes in a high quality carton box with a beautiful graphic image and looks excellent. In addition, the tank has been used as an assault and defense tool in many wars and stands against strong tanks, mines and heavy shooting battles. Long and different but to In spite of all this, he stood guard and performed his missions with relative success and good of others, arming the main cannon 57.2 mm and a machine gun 300 rounds 12.7 mm
A range of 300 kilometers, a maximum speed of 51 kilometers that gave him a significant advantage and is also a small tank that could take advantage of his engine properly and no additional shielding was not therefore vulnerable to space conditions in time of war and for this deserves great respect and long-term protection is painted green Very dark color black color and thus would earn valuable protection time
the kit is very rich and very enjoyable and comes with 5 tank crew figures,
Comes with assembly instructions that are easy to understand
Kit is very easy to build
Kit cost between 25-40 USD