The Petroleum Warfare Department was established in Britain during 1940 to develop new weapons to
defeat the expected German invasion. One of the projects was the vehicle-mounted flamethrower, that
became known as the Ronson in British service and the Satan when used by the Americans. By 1942
the Ronson had been perfected and had achieved a very useful range of 80-100 meters. It was decided
to mount the weapon in the Universal Carrier, the conversion being designated the Wasp. The first order
was for 1,000 Wasps, the initial model being the MkI with the projector mounted on the engine cover.
This was quickly replaced by the MkII which moved the projector to the front machine gun position. The
Wasp MkII was first used in action during the Allied invasion of France in June 1944, with the vehicles
being used to support infantry assaults. It was a great success as the Germans often gave up their positions
rather than face the Wasp in action. It was also noted that the Wasp was far better at destroying bunkers
than tank guns firing HE shells. The Wasp MkII was initially used by both British and Canadian units.
but the Canadians modified their vehicles moving the fuel tanks to the rear hull of the Carrier. This allowed
machine guns to be mounted in the side compartments increasing tactical flexibility. This version was
designated the Wasp MkIIC and this became the main variant as the war ended. The Wasp MkII and MkIIC
were also used in Italy and a few sent to the Far East. It is not noted how many Wasps were converted,
perhaps as many as 3,000, They were withdrawn from service and stored after WWII a few later used in
the Korean War 1950-53.
German mounted troops
Kit contains two horses and with or without Y belt for